The unit at Wythenshawe is now over 30 years old and has carried out to date over 1200 Heart, Lung, and Heart and Lung transplants.
We are only one of 5 units nationally, which covers the whole of the northwest region and into north and mid wales, a catchment population area of over 6 million
The unit carries out on average 60 Transplants a year.
New Start funded the first 10 transplants and partly funded the building of the Transplant Centre and four bungalows for relatives to stay in.
More recently it funds the extra bits the NHS can’t provide
· £60k for 2 ECMO machines – life support used after transplant
· 80k for refurbishment of the bungalows
· Fund free TV for patients whilst on the Coronary Care Unit
· £125K to purchase 5 kits for the Organ Care System which allows the team to transport hearts from donors after cardiac death, which wouldn’t previously be considered.
· Crisis intervention funding for patients struggling financially - for example hotels for relatives, stairlifts
· Research into research
· £16K providing bed settees for our Bungalows
· £7K for dietetics Equipment
None of this would be possible without public donations
All our funding is by voluntary contributions mostly from recipients, their families and friends in various ways. We can assist you with any fundraising tools such as Banners, Collection Boxes and T-shirts.